Friday, November 21, 2008

Issues with Ubuntu 8.10 on Lenovo T61p laptop

I got a new Lenovo ThinkPad T61p, and of course I promptly installed Ubuntu Ibex 8.10 on it. The first day I used it, I had no issues, but this morning it froze no less than 3 times, and each time the Caps Lock light flashed. I googled around, and I found what I hope is the solution in this post on the Ubuntu forums. It seems that this is the core issue:

System lock-ups with Intel 4965 wireless

The version of the iwlagn wireless driver for Intel 4965 wireless chipsets included in Linux kernel version 2.6.27 causes kernel panics when used with 802.11n or 802.11g networks. Users affected by this issue can install the linux-backports-modules-intrepid package, to install a newer version of this driver that corrects the bug. (Because the known fix requires a new version of the driver, it is not expected to be possible to include this fix in the main kernel package.)

As recommended, I did 'apt-get install backports-modules-intrepid' and I rebooted. That was around 1 hour ago, and I haven't seen any issues since. Hopefully that was it. BTW, when the Caps Lock light blinks, it means 'kernel panic'. Who knew.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new toy! Fun.
My T61p has done pretty good with 8.4 (Hardy). None of those crashes. Wish the volume was louder though and hardware controlled volume/brightness like on my R52...

Anonymous said...

This has been hapenning to my T61 since I upgraded from 8.04. Wish I never did that, since there is no compelling reason to upgrade (synergy is still broken for instance).

Also, if you find your display blueish (like mine was), you'll probably want to look for an xcalib fix for the T61/T61p in the forums.

- tabo

Anonymous said...

Hello.My T61p has done pretty good with 8.4 (Hardy)also. However, I would like to have Ubuntu 8.10 working for some reasons. In my case the wireless connection is not working. I am also lacking some basic skills required for modifying the size and number of partitions that I ( hardly ) managed to make on the HDD. My T61p came with Vista Business x32 installed. I would like to install Vista Ultimate x64.I tried that but both 3G card and wireless card were not working.For some reasons I still need to keep windows on the machine. Is there some way to get in contact? Thank you - Multumesc - Adrian Gutu

Howard said...

The actual command is 'apt-get install linux-backport-modules-intrepid' without the 'linux' you get and error.

the Lenovo 3000 v200 has the same issue. Hopefully this will fix it.

-Adrian - do a google search for "Resize windows partition" then install ubuntu with use largest free space on the disk partitioning screen, or make your own partition. You need a / partition (root) and a swap partition. Don't make more than a 2gb swap partition.

Unknown said...

Please help. I'm getting the same thing, kernel panic.

the fix above doesnt work for me


root@user:/home/user# apt-get install linux-backport-modules-intrepid
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-backport-modules-intrepid
root@user:/home/user# apt-get install backports-modules-intrepid
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package backports-modules-intrepid



as you can see i type in above fix and get 'couldnt find package'. why?

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure you need to run it with the sudo command:

"sudo apt-get install linux-backport-modules-intrepid"

fav.or.it said...

The guy is root, he doesn't need to sudo...

sent from: fav.or.it

Modifying EC2 security groups via AWS Lambda functions

One task that comes up again and again is adding, removing or updating source CIDR blocks in various security groups in an EC2 infrastructur...